Friday 25 January 2013

Life is a Great Big Canvas by Ginny Lennox

  “Life is a great big painting and you should throw all of the paint on it you can.”  --Danny Kaye

The above painting is something I did with watercolors years ago. I have been going back over some of my paintings just to remember how it felt to be a beginner and to see just what kind of progress I have made.  It has been fun because when I started painting I used to be so critical of my work.  I always felt like an imposter and could see all of the mistakes and flaws in what I was creating.  Now, I realize there are lots of mistakes and flaws but I don't care anymore.  I realize that my paintings aren't about being artistically correct but about evoking memories for me and hopefully for someone else.

The painting above represents how much time and love my husband put into teaching me how to ski.  At 50 I decided I was going to learn to do something I couldn't do at 21.  Every year we would fly out to Keystone and spend an incredible week on the slopes.  It took three years before I could ski but I finally did it.  So when I look at the painting above I see a special time in my life.  I see snow, and gondolas, and snow mobile rides.  I see them slowing down the ski lifts because everyone knew if I was getting on it wouldn't be pretty.  I see lots of smiles and hugs and of course a few tears after falling down 100 times.

I agree with Danny Kaye - life is a great big canvas.  Some days the canvas is filled with bright colors and lots of movement.  Other days it is covered in soft pastels and quiet moments.  There may be times when my canvas has a cloud or two covering it.  For me, the key is to realize that each day is different.  Each day brings with it opportunities to create and enjoy something new.  Each day is a blank canvas just ready, for as Danny Kaye would say, "to throw all the paint on it I can."   So I hope you will join me this year in creating one big, beautiful and memorable canvas after another. Let's throw some paint and make some memories!

Ginny, a certified Kaizen-Muse Creativity Coach, believes that each and every day is filled with special moments to be enjoyed and treasured.  On her blog, Special Moments in Time, she encourages everyone to recognize and celebrate their own special moments each day.

2 comments:

  1. This is sweet, Ginny. I love your point about realizing that flaws and mistakes aren't anywhere near as important as what the painting means--its emotion and its sense memories.

    ReplyDelete