Monday 24 June 2013

Breathe, just Breathe by Lisa DeYoung

Breathe_colored

Our prompt for June asked us to reflect on dealing with mishaps. Taking a few deep breaths is always the first thing I (try to remember to) do when something goes wrong. In the past it may have been more like hyperventilate, but I've learned that this does not help.

Even if getting upset, or reacting without thinking, may be my spontaneous response thought – I have learned that stepping back from the issue at hand to access the situation works much better. And a few deep breaths allows me to do just this.

Recently I've been practicing yoga quite a bit, and we've talked a lot about using the breath in our postures...and how it can benefit us off our mat, too. It's amazing how easy it is to stop breathing, or barely breathe, when you let your mind take the lead. Breathing brings you back to the present.

I have found being present is very grounding, which really helps me when something goes awry; it reminds me I am still alive in this moment (and breathing). Breathing also helps me when I feel overwhelmed or have too much on my mind.

I'd love to hear if and/or how you use the breath to ground you when things have gone awry.

xox,
Lisa, aka the mountain mermaid


Lisa, aka the mountain mermaid, is a creative, independent spirit who loves to explore and play outdoors. She lives in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Embracing her creative life is an ongoing adventure, a journey that she loves and trusts more each year – and hopes to inspire others to do the same. She is also an entrepreneur providing innovative business support, including graphic design services, for passionate creative entrepreneurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment