Wednesday 24 July 2013

Anything is Possible by Meghan Genge

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” - Shel Silverstein


July's topic is getting unstuck?!

Hilarious.

Because that is just what I have been:

Stuck.

And it has only been in the last few weeks that I have begun to see the reason and the light.

Once Upon a Time, a lot of years ago, I was feeling lost and felt inspired to start a blog. It went along really well for a few years. Along the way it helped me to make some wonderful friends and I even think it helped me begin to find my voice.

Fast forward a few years and I felt like my little blog wasn't big enough for me, so I created a new blog. I called it Creating Wings, because that was what I wanted to do the most, and for a few years it was big enough for me. I made some more friends, wrote one or two posts I was really proud of, and puttered along. Then, once again, inspiration struck and my medium-sized blog wasn't big enough for me anymore.

So about a year ago, I started another blog.

Are you seeing the pattern?

Every time I started a new blog (or a new book, a new job, a new anything) I have gone in with a vision of what I wanted from it. I have always thought I knew best. The initial spark of inspiration was always enough to make me commit myself 100% to that vision.

Inevitably: stuck.

A few weeks ago my husband and I were doing a post-mortem on a big dream that we had that didn't work. It was during that discussion that I had a lightbulb - hallelujah - slap my head with clarity -moment.

I can't dream big enough for myself.

Or maybe that should read:

Nobody can dream big enough for themselves.

I got stuck when I bumped up against the walls I myself had constructed. Stuck happened when I tried to force myself to keep fitting into The Plan or The Vision.

Stuck happened when I forced myself to keep thinking small.

You can't possibly know how much you are capable of. You can't possibly see what is next for you, let alone what is next, next, next, NEXT for you. What you CAN do, however, is remember that every time you grow even a little bit, your potential grows with you.

Me? I am taking off the shackles of a concrete vision and changing my site - AGAIN! This time with lots of room to write, breathe, think or share whatever comes up.

You? Stuck? Where are you bumping up against walls that you yourself have made? How can you widen your vision?

How can you get out of your own way?


Meghan is a writer, a storyteller, and a finder of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment